Dedicated to creating healthy indoor environments since 1973

Frequently Asked Questions About Disaster Restoration

MOLD

Should I be concerned about mold in my home?

moldYes, if indoor mold contamination is extensive, it can cause very high and persistent airborne spore exposures. Persons exposed to high spore levels can become sensitized and develop allergies to the mold or other health problems. Mold growth can damage your furnishings while clothes in damp closets can become soiled. Over time unchecked mold growth can even cause damage to the structural elements in your home. If you can smell mold inside your home, take steps to identify and eliminate the excess moisture and to cleanup and remove the mold.


Can cleaning up mold be hazardous to my health?

YES. During the cleaning process, you may be exposed to mold, strong detergents, and disinfectants. Spore counts may be 10 to 100 times higher than background levels when mold contaminated materials are disturbed. Call Paradise Disaster Restoration to assist in properly cleaning the mold in your house.


You recently eradicated mold from my attic. Will it come back?

It should not. After we removed all traces of the mold we treated all the surfaces in your attic with a powerful mold preventive that will stop the mold from returning.


Mold doesn't seem to show as much in the winter. Does that mean it has died?

NO. Since heated houses in our area are often very dry during the winter months, mold problems do seem to subside. However, as soon as the humidity rises when we open the windows in the spring, the mold will grow rapidly.

The sooner you treat the problem, the healthier your home and family will be.


What can I do to prevent mold?

Here are a few tips:

  1. When water leaks or spills occur indoors, act quickly. If damp materials are dried 24 to 48 hours after a leak occurs, mold will not grow in most cases.
  2. Keep indoor humidity low, preferably below 60% by using a dehumidifier or air conditioner.
  3. Vent bathrooms and clothes dryers, and stoves to the outside and run vents while bathing, cooking and running the dishwasher.
  4. Regularly check faucets, pipes, and ductwork for leaks. When first turning on the air conditioner have the windows open for several minutes to allow mold spores to disperse.
  5. If you see condensation on windows, walls, or pipes, act quickly to dry the wet surface and reduce the moisture source. Condensation can be a sign of high humidity.
  6. Clean and repair roof gutters regularly.

Sign up for “Healthy Home Tips”



HEALTHY HOME

We hear a lot about “green cleaning,” but where do we start?

Here are a few tips:

  1. Use cleaning products made from safe, natural, non-toxic ingredients.
  2. Avoid room deodorizers or other air freshening products because they frequently contain unhealthy chemicals.
  3. Do NOT use aerosol products to avoid inhaling droplets of chemicals that can remain suspended in the air for hours.
  4. Use chlorine-free dishwasher detergent to prevent releasing the easily vaporized chlorine chemicals into the air you breathe.
  5. Dust with a damp mop to ensure that dust, which can collect toxins, is removed and not stirred back into the air.
  6. Replace your disposable wipes, sponges and paper towels with some good old-fashioned rags.

Want to know more?

Is there a specific question you’d like to ask the professionals at Paradise Disaster Restoration? Perhaps there’s a particular subject you’d like to see addressed. If so, please let us know by calling or emailing.

 

WATER

The hot water heater leaked and filled our basement with three inches of water. Do all the walls have to be removed and replaced?

Not necessarily. Often we can dry them inside and save them. Walls with insulation must be cut open at the bottom to dry.


water in the basementWhat can we do to prevent water from coming into our home?

Inspect the way the ground all around your foundation is sloped. It must be pitched away from the house to prevent gutter overflow from running towards and under your foundation. Also make sure that all down spouts run at least a few feet away from the house. Have any foundation or basement floor cracks repaired. Install a sump pump and add insurance coverage for pump failure.

If you see mold or smell odors in your home your problems are not over as things are still damp and need to be properly dehumidified and treated. If you can't see the problem, it may be inside a wall, in which case you should have someone inspect the wall by carefully cutting it open.


SMOKE

Our furnace backed up and caused smoke damage throughout our home. The bedroom doors were closed, does that mean the smoke did not get in there?

Unfortunately, smoke can easily enter from around and under the door, as well as under the walls and through plumbing openings in the floor. This room needs to be checked and properly cleaned for smoke damage, a service we can easily provide.


MISCELLANEOUS

What are the symptoms of too much humidity in a home?

A few of the symptoms you may notice include a musty odor, allergic reactions, visible mold growth, cupped wood floors, feeling "sticky" or "muggy," visible condensation/water stains, and peeling wallpaper or blistering paint.


Should I spray something to get rid of the musty smell in my basement?

Spraying may provide temporary relief, but you really need to lower the humidity level by installing a good quality dehumidifier.


Why can't I just open the basement doors and windows to get rid of the smell?

Doing so may bring in damper or warmer air that would cause more condensation to form. Keep the basement doors and windows closed while running a dehumidifier.


What else can I do to dissipate the odor?

Remove all organic materials such as cardboard boxes, paper, clothing, and piles of wood, which are food sources for mold.


We make home feel like Paradise
Content Development by Effective Marketing Strategies  ||  Design by Good Graphic Design